I have just got back from a wonderful fortnight holiday in a surprisingly sunny Ireland and am feeling the inevitable holiday comedown and heightened Sunday night-itus that is the knowledge that I am back to my normal 9 to 5 tomorrow. Still the sun is shining and there is still plenty to look forward to with a family wedding next weekend. I find the best way for me to combat down days is to get lost in doing something creative – to that end I have spent all day sewing – which I will blog about soon – and cooked a summer salad this evening to complement the weather!
We have had our griddle for about 4 months now and I am in love with it. It feels like it will last forever as it is made out cast iron – so much better than our non-stick pans that just give up the ghost after a couple of years – I have the feeling that this will just keep getting better with age. Despite my love affair with the griddle I could have just as easily used a grill to do the courgettes – I love them when the get charred on the outside and gooey on the inside, I’d just need to watch the grill a bit more carefully to make sure they didn’t turn to cinders!
The sesame in this posts title comes from the tahini in the dressing, although if you wanted a bit extra I am sure some toasted sesame seeds mixed in would be delicious. I have outlined the recipe below for future reference and if anyone else would like a go 🙂 Thanks for reading xxxALT
Sesame Courgette Noodle Salad Recipe
Small Clove of Garlic
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
3tbsps olive oil
2tbs of tahini
1 tbs of honey
250g of rice noodle cooked as per packet instructions
1.5 courgettes sliced
125g of cherry tomatoes sliced in half
100g feta cubed
large handful of black olives
100g of rocket or your preferred salad
1 tbs olive oil
1. Crush the garlic with some salt and mix in with the lemon juice and zest leaving to sit for at least 5mins.
2. Chargrill your courgette slices either under the grill or on a griddle until nicely coloured.
3. Mix together the rest of your salad dressing ingredients and season to taste.
4. Coat the noodles in 1tbs of olive oil to prevent them from sticking together and then coat with the salad dressing. Chargrill your courgette slices either under the grill or on a griddle until nicely coloured.
5. Add the rest of your salad ingredients to the noodles except the salad leaves and mix well.
6. Plate up by putting a handful of salad on each plate and then adding the noodle mix on top*.
* By not adding the salad leaves into the rest of the salad you can keep them separately in the fridge over night making it suitable for a pack up the next day – if you are planning on eating it all at once though you can mix the salad leaves or rocket in with the rest of the ingredients.